Thursday, August 30, 2007

Delhi's smelly


A well-organized municipal power distribution system; Chandni Chowk, Delhi.

I am in Delhi for the day after a short flight from Leh. Delhi is still too hot, too crowded, too frenetic, too smelly, too loud, and otherwise obnoxious. I'll leave the happily-mixing-with-the-unwashed-masses-of-humanity to someone else, thank you very much.




The view from my Delhi hotel room--why do I feel like Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner ("Time to die.")?

This trip to Delhi was made more enjoyable by the fact that I had been here before, meaning that I knew how to say "no" to, wag my finger in the face of, and otherwise ignore the many people trying to sell me something.


I spent the day touring around the city with Sandra and Laura, who were interested in seeing Old Delhi. It was more of the same masses of unwashed humanity, but still very interesting in a "whoever thought Delhi could contain so many beads, or bead shops, for that matter" sort of way.

Tomorrow I'm off to Qatar, where the heat is rivaled only by the humidity: tomorrow's forecast is for a mild 107 degrees Fahrenheit...

No comments: